What is the Governing Board?
The Governing Board has a number of duties and responsibilities towards all its stakeholders – pupils, staff, parents, the local authority and the wider Cheadle Heath community.
The role includes:
- Ensuring the school fulfills the legal requirements of the education system
- Setting challenging but achievable educational targets
- Ensuring the school is adequately resourced and that its resources are utilised properly and creatively
- Ensuring all pupils receive an excellent, well rounded education academically, morally and socially so that they can move forward into the world, fully equipped for the challenges they will face
- Developing a vision for the school and setting its strategic aims
- Establishing the values that the school is expected to meet and maintain
- Acting as critical friends – monitoring and evaluating performance and progress towards the school’s priorities and targets, supporting staff and challenging their expectations
Relationship with Stakeholders
- Accountability – ensuring that the school is accountable to the children and parents it serves, to its local community, to those who fund and maintain it, as well as the staff it employs
- Maintaining a close relationship with parents and the local community
- Caring for the welfare and well being of staff and pupils
The Governing Board seeks to fully represent the local community and is drawn from four groups:
- Local Authority Governor (1): local people appointed by the local authority (Stockport Council)
- Parent Governors (3): elected by the parents of the pupils at the school. A Parent Governor usually has a pupil attending the school.
- Staff Governor (1): representing staff at the school and elected by their colleagues.
- Headteacher (1) Head Teacher is on our Governing Board
- Coopted Governors (6): co-opted by the Governing Board, these governors either have close links with the local community or bring with them specific skills or expertise that the Governing Board feels are required. Sometimes a Community Governor satisfies both criteria.
The Cheadle Heath Primary Governing Board aim to be a cohesive and professional team who use their skills and experience to work in partnership with the staff and parents and share the commitment that Cheadle Heath Primary should provide the best possible education for its pupils.